Raspberry Pi 5 4GB
The Raspberry Pi 5 is a remarkable leap forward, boasting an array of enhancements and improved performance. To offer an objective insight into its capabilities, let's delve into its key features and specifications:
RP1 I/O Controller – Improved Processing Capabilities
The heart of the Raspberry Pi 5 is the RP1 I/O controller, a product of in-house silicon design. This ensures seamless compatibility and optimized performance.
At its core, the Raspberry Pi 5 is powered by the Broadcom BCM2712 quad-core Arm Cortex A76 processor, clocking in at an impressive 2.4GHz. This results in a performance boost of up to three times that of its predecessor.
With its 4GB LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM, it promises a remarkably smoother computing experience.
Expandable Form Factor
The inclusion of USB 3 greatly enhances data transfer speeds, making it ideal for projects requiring rapid data exchange.
The Raspberry Pi 5 also offers the flexibility to customise your setup with interchangeable camera and DSI display connectors.
The PCIe support allows you to connect an M.2 SSD, ensuring rapid data transfer and quick boot times.
Optimized Raspberry Pi OS
The latest Raspberry Pi OS has been tailor-made for the Raspberry Pi 5, ensuring superior desktop performance for a wide range of applications.
The Raspberry Pi 5 also introduces several general improvements, including mounting holes for coolers/heatsinks, a composite video header, memory indication markers for easy board RAM identification, a unique board ID number on the board and packaging, a relocated PoE header, a flush(ish) underside to GPIO pins, and metal supporting tabs to protect components on the underside. The audio jack has been removed, enhancing its overall design.
- Processing Power: Broadcom BCM2712 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU with cryptography extensions, L2 caches of 512KB per core, and a 2MB shared L3 cache.
- Graphics Capability: VideoCore VII GPU, supporting OpenGL ES 3.1 and Vulkan 1.2.
- High-Resolution Display Output: Dual 4Kp60 HDMI display output with HDR support.
- Video Decoding: A 4Kp60 HEVC decoder.
- RAM: LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM with a capacity of 4GB.
- Wireless Connectivity: Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0/Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
- Storage Expansion and Fast Data Transfer: It features a microSD card slot with support for high-speed SDR104 mode and 2 USB 3.0 ports for simultaneous 5Gbps operation.
- Peripheral Connectivity: It offers 2 USB 2.0 ports.
- Network Connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet with PoE+ support (requires a separate PoE+ HAT).
- Camera and Display Integration: 2 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers.
- Fast Peripheral Connectivity: It boasts a PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for connecting fast peripherals (requires a separate M.2 HAT or other adapter).
- Power and Charging: Powered by a 5V/5A DC power via USB-C, with Power Delivery support.
- Expansion and GPIO Access: It includes the standard Raspberry Pi 40-pin header.
- Real-Time Clock (RTC): Powered by an external battery for precise timekeeping.
- Ease of Use: Equipped with a convenient power button.
The Raspberry Pi 5 finds utility in a variety of applications, including home automation, media centres, robotics and automation projects, network-attached storage (NAS) servers, retro gaming console emulators, Internet of Things (IoT) sensor hubs, digital signage systems, educational projects, home security, and surveillance systems.
- Raspberry Pi 5 4GB
Frequently Asked Questions
Will older versions of Raspberry Pi OS work with Raspberry Pi 5?
It is recommended to use the latest Raspberry Pi OS, Bookworm, for optimal compatibility with the Raspberry Pi 5.
Will my Raspberry Pi 4 power supply work with Raspberry Pi 5?
Raspberry Pi 5, being a higher-performance computer, benefits from a high-quality 5V 5A USB-C power supply, such as the new Raspberry Pi 27W USB-C Power Supply.
Does Raspberry Pi 5 need active cooling?
Since Raspberry Pi 5 features enhanced processing capabilities mostly required for extensive applications and projects, a reliable active cooling solution such as the Raspberry Pi Active Cooler is a good option. This is the official active cooler for Raspberry Pi 5 that features a fan with an integrated single-piece aluminium heatsink.