Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3 12MP IMX708 – Wide Angle Version 120 Degree FOV
Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3 features a 12MP IMX708 Quad Bayer camera sensor. This is the wide-angle version with a 120o field of view (FOV). Its compatibility with the I2C control interface enables effortless utilisation of the auto-focus function.
The Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3 seamlessly integrates with all Raspberry Pi series Single Board Computers (SBCs) and Raspberry Pi Zero Microcontrollers, including the Raspberry Pi Zero 2W.
- Supported by the Raspberry Pi Picamera2 Python library.
- Comprehensive image processing support from libcamera, the Raspberry Pi Open Source Camera System.
- Wide View Angle, 120o FOV
- I2C compatibility for convenient focus control with auto-focus capabilities.
- Enhanced camera sensor sensitivity with the 12MP IMX708, surpassing the 8MP IMX219 found in the Raspberry Pi Camera Module V2.
- Optimized photo quality thanks to High Dynamic Range (HDR) support.
Examples of Connecting with Raspberry Pi
Please note that the Yellow FPC Cable, required for connecting the camera to Raspberry Pi Zero microcontrollers, is not included.
12MP High-Resolution Camera
The Camera Module 3 boasts the ability to capture full HD video at a frame rate of 50fps, with even higher frame rates achievable at lower resolutions. Additionally, it offers an HDR mode and autofocus functionality, making it adaptable for both photography and video recording across a range of applications.
Support for Beginners
The latest Raspberry Pi OS iteration includes a beta release of Picamera2, a Python library developed by the Raspberry Pi in-house team. Suitable for users of all levels, Picamera2 serves a wide spectrum of purposes, from home-based projects to applications in the field of machine learning.
Open Source Camera System Support
Camera Module 3 harnesses the capabilities of the Raspberry Pi Open Source Camera System, powered by libcamera. This extensive set of libraries empowers developers with precise control over image processing and provides enhanced access to the working of Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3.
Enjoy the freedom and flexibility of auto-focus via I2C control, simplifying the process of taking photos.
Some Examples of Possible Applications
- Photography and Videography: Capture high-resolution photos and videos with improved image quality and HDR support.
- Home Security: Enhance your home security by capturing images or videos when motion is detected, enabling surveillance and remote monitoring.
- Wildlife Monitoring: Utilise the camera to capture images or videos of wildlife in your area, perfect for wildlife enthusiasts and researchers.
- Video Conferencing: Ideal for small video conferencing setups, this camera can be seamlessly integrated into various communication applications.
- DIY Webcam: Transform your Raspberry Pi into a webcam for video calls, streaming, or recording. The auto-focus feature ensures clear focus during video chats.
- Object Recognition: Enable smart applications like automated inventory management or object tracking in a production line using object recognition capabilities.
- Remote Sensing: Deploy the camera on drones or remote-controlled vehicles to capture images from challenging locations, including aerial photography and environmental monitoring.
- 3D Scanning: Create 3D models of objects by capturing multiple images from different angles and using software to process them into 3D models, opening up possibilities for 3D scanning projects.
- Model: Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3
- Version: Standard Wide Angle Version
- Compatible Devices: Raspberry Pi Series Boards and Raspberry Pi Zero Microcontrollers
- Control Interface: I2C – Auto-Focus Support
- Sensor: IMX708 Quad Bayer
- Pixels: 4608 x 2592, 11.9MP
- Field of View (FOV): 120o
- CMOS Sensor Size: 7.4mm
- Focal Length: 2.75mm
- Aperture: F2.2
- Weight: 13 Grams
- Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3 (Standard Wide Angle Version)
- FFC Cable 15-Pin (Opposite Sides Contact)