Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W
The Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W is the upgrade on the Zero W and WH. The Zero 2 W features the RP3A0 custom-built System-in-Package (SiP). The board has the Broadcom BC2710A1 Cortex-A53 1GHz 64-bit Quad-Core processor with the LPDDR2 512MB SDRAM. The processing speed of the Zero 2 W is 5x faster as compared to the speed of the previous Zero W model. However, the dimensions are still the same, i.e., 65mm x 30mm.
Faster Than Raspberry Pi Zero
Since the Zero 2 W processor has more cores, its single-threaded performance is 40% faster and its multi-threaded performance is 5x faster than the processing performance of the Zero W.
The original Raspberry Pi Zero W features the package-on-Package (PoP) technology. This time, the Zero 2 W uses the improved technology, i.e., System-in-Package (SiM).
Instead of placing the SDRAM right on top of the System on Chip (PoP Style), the System-in-Package technology combines the processor die and RAM die along with the decoupling capacitors. The voltage supply is smooth in this case and the SiM is more efficient as compared to the PoP technology. The Zero 2 W has the RP3A0 custom-built SiP that seamlessly combines BCM2837A1 (processor) die and LPDDR2 (SDRAM) die.
Gold Bond Wires
The Zero 2 W chip RP3A0-AU is marked on it. The extension AU represents the chemical symbol of gold because the chip features more than 800 gold bond wires. These wires are known for better performance and durability.
Wireless in the Sealed Can
The Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W supports 2.4 GHz WiFi, Bluetooth BT 4.2, and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
The board has a shielded metal enclosure that protects the built-in Wireless LAN and eliminates the chances of external interference. This sealed enclosure complies with the RF standards. Just like Raspberry Pi 4B and 3B+, Zero 2 W also comes with the FCC modular certification.
Video Presentation of the Product
Specifications of Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W
- Long Term Support: The production of Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W will continue until January 2028 at least
- Processor: Broadcom BCM2710A1 | 1GHz Quad-Core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53
- RAM: LPDDR2 512MB
- Storage Support: Micro SD Card Slot (Micro SD Card is NOT included)
- USB Interface: 1x USB 2.0 with OTG
- Wireless Communication: 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11 b / g / n Wireless LAN | Bluetooth BT 4.2 | BLE Support | Onboard Antenna
- Pin Header: 40-Pin I / O Expansion Header
- Camera Connector: CSI-2 Interface
- Display Interface: Mini HDMI Port
- Multimedia Support: H2.264 encode (1080p30) | MPEG-4, H.264 decode (1080p30) | OpenGL ES 1.1, 2.0 Graphics
- Video Support: HDMI Interface | Composite Video Support
- Power Supply Port: Micro USB interface
- Power Input: Compatible with 5V / 2.5A DC power supply
- Operating Temperature: -20°C to +70°C
Small Yet Effective
The Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W is ideal for many small and medium-sized smart home applications such as security cameras and IoT projects such as Bluetooth speakers.
Micro USB power input port, Mini HDMI, a CSI-2 camera connector, and built-in WiFi & Bluetooth are the most promising Zero 2 W interfaces that make it a cost-effective microcontroller.
- Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W