ODROID N2L 2GB RAM Amlogic S922X 2.2GHz 6-Core Cortex-ARM Mali G-52 GPU
If you are looking for a less expensive alternative to Odroid N2+, you need to consider Odroid N2L. It is also an official release from Hardkernel and is designed to meet the demand of B2B customers who have looking for an inexpensive, lighter, more compact, and simpler yet effective SBC just like Odroid N2+.
Key Differences - Odroid N2L vs Odroid N2+
- Odroid N2L has a faster and low power consumption single-chip LPDDR4 RAM whereas Odroid N2+ has DDR4 RAM chips
- Odroid N2L is better for building cost-effective robots, arcade consoles, human-machine-interface devices, and drones, etc.
- Odroid N2L is more suitable for use as a standalone embedded system that does not need Ethernet
- Odroid N2L price is much less than Odroid N2+ price
- There is no IR receiver, USB 3.0 Port, OTG Port, Analogue Audio Output, RTC, Ethernet, and SPI Flash on Odroid N2L. This is what makes the board lighter, more compact, and inexpensive as compared to Odroid N2+
- Odroid N2L weighs just 50 grams (with fan) whereas Odroid N2+ weighs 250 grams
- Odroid N2L is more compact, just 69mm x 56mm
Odroid N2L is branded with the letter ‘L’ for multiple reasons. It stands for many features at a time including Little, Leaf, Light, Lovely, Lynx, Lumen, and LPDDR.
Odroid N2L Block Diagram
Odroid N2L Video Demonstration: Ubuntu Gnome Desktop 22.04 + Kernel 6.0 + Panfrost + Vulkan API
Supports WiFi and BT USB Adapter
You can use the wireless adapter with Odroid N2L for wireless connectivity. You can consider the official Odroid WiFi BT USB Module 5BK (sold separately).
The single-chip LPDDR4 RAM on Odroid N2L is a low-power consumption solution as compared to the DDR4 RAM chips on Odroid N2+. Not only that the LPDDR4 RAM helps reduce the board size but its DRAM interface clock frequency performance is also 20% higher than the RAM on Odroid N2+.
In addition, Odroid N2L collective system performance is from 10% to 20% higher than Odroid N2+.
The GPU performance of Odroid N2L is also 10% higher and it corresponds to the memory bandwidth performance optimisation.
Low Power Consumption
Odroid N2L has fewer hardware components to provide power to. In addition, the single-chip LPDDR4 RAM requires less power than the DDR4 RAM chips. These revisions make Odroid N2L a low power consumption SBC.
The overclocking 2.4GHz CPU during extensive computing load needs a constantly rotating stock fan to minimize thermal throttling. Below is the Odroid N2L thermal performance.
If you do not want the fan noise, you can also use the tall heatsink for quiet heat dissipation. The tall heatsink is not included in the box but you can purchase it separately. If you opt for the heatsink on the Odroid N2L, you might have to make sure that the CPU does not clock above 2GHz.
Odroid N2L Operating System Boot
The existing Operating System Image for Odroid N2 and N2+ does not support the Odroid N2L LPDDR4 RAM. Please download our guide for Odroid N2L (refer to the file link on the top) to download the right Operating System Image for N2L.
- Android 9.0 (32 Bit and 64 Bit Images)
- Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop with Kernel 5.15 and Upstream
- Ubuntu 22.04 Mate | Minimal with Kernel 4.9
- EmuELEC (TBD)
Odroid N2L Board Layout
Specifications of Odroid N2L
- Amlogic S922X 12nm
- ARMv8-A Architecture | Crypto and Neon Extensions
- Cortex-A73 2.2GHz Quad Core | Cortex-A53 2GHz Dual Core
- Mali G-52 800MHz GPU | x6 Execution Engines
- LPDDR4 2GiB | 32-bit Bus Width
- Up to 3216 MT/sec. Data Rate
- Low Power Consumption 1.1Volt
- eMMC Connector
- MicroSD Slot
- Supports USB Adapter for Optional Ethernet or WiFi
- HDMI 2.0 (x1) | Supports up to 4K @ 60Hz with CEC, HDR, and EDID
- HDMI Digital Output (x1)
- USB 2.0 HOST (x1)
- USB 3.0 HOST (x1)
- Peripheral Expansion Header 40-Pin (x1) | 2.54mm Pitch
- UART Serial Debug Console (x1)
- UART (x1) | SPI (x1) | I2C (x2) | GPIO (x25 Max.)
- MIPI DSI 4-Labe TBD (x1)
- ADC Input (x2) | 1.8V Max, 10-Bit
- DC 5V (x2) | DC 3.3V (x1) | DC 1.8V (x1) | GND (x8)
Signal Level for ADC input is 1.8 Volt (Max) and 3.3 Volt for all other I/O
- DC 12V/2A is recommended power supply (sold separately)
- DC Jack (x1) | 5.5mm Outer (Negative) and 2.1mm Inner (Positive)
- Input Compatibility Ranges from 7.5V to 16V
- CPU Stress (Active Cooling-FAN) ≃1W (@1908/2208MHz, Stock), 6.4W (@2016/2400MHz, Overclock)
- CPU Stress (Passive Heat-Sink) ≃4W (@1908/2208MHz, Stock), 5.8W (@2016/2400MHz, Overclock)
- IDLE Power Consumption is approximately 1.5W (Performance Governor) and 1.3W (Conservative Governor)
- Power-Off ≃2W
- Passive Heatsink (Built-In)
- Active 5V Cooling Fan Connector (2-Pin | 1.25mm Pith)
- ALIVE LED Indicator (Blue): Flashes while Kernel is running
- PWR LED Indicator (Red): Stable light when the power supply is connected
- Weight (Including Fan): 50 Grams
- Dimensions (Including Fan): 69mm x 56mm x 22mm | 6.9cm x 5.6cm x 2.2cm
- Odroid N2L (2GB)